Monday, July 30, 2012

Review: The Doctor's Wife by Elizabeth Brundage

Living in Wichita, KS.  allows me to relate to the harassment and lunatics that abortion doctors endure.  I am not saying I agree with abortion, quite the contrary, but I absolutely do NOT believe in killing or harassing someone who does.  There are religious groups that do act as though they are the judge and jury and their actions, "In the name of Jesus Christ" appall me.  Some reviewers feel that this representation in the book is far fetched, believe me it is not.

The Doctor's Wife is a very heavy, disturbing but a thought provoking novel. It is very well written with suspense and the ever prevalent "one bad choice after another".  I highly recommend this novel for a book club selection, with the intense subject matters to discuss, it is bound to make for a very interesting meeting.

I was really excited to read this book but just didn't love it.  I think it was just due to the heavy subject matter and the lack of connection with the characters.  If you are looking for a happy read, this is not it but I did like it and it gave me much to ponder.

SYNOPSIS by Barnes & Noble
“The memory starts here, in my apron pocket, with the gun.”

So begins The Doctor’s Wife, a stunning debut novel about four people and the cataclysmic intersection of their lives.  Michael is a rising OB/GYN at a prominent private practice in Albany, New York; he also moonlights at a local women’s health clinic.  But Annie, his wife, has become tired of her workaholic husband’s absences, and the soccer-mom lifestyle has worn thin. She begins a passionate love affair with bad-boy, fading celebrity painter Simon Haas—an affair that quickly goes awry when Simon’s wife Lydia, who is also the model upon whom he built his career, discovers the truth.  
Abortion, local evangelism, marital disenchantment, and the rifts of social class:  Brundage takes on the fault lines of our era with a deft hand.


RATING - 3 STARS  - I Liked It

No comments:

Post a Comment